Recent news round-up
The launch of SARi on December 7th came amid a flurry of other linked developments and announcements during and in the run up to COP 17:
- National Treasury announced its intention to set up a Renewable Energy Fund.
- The Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Act came into effect, allowing the government to name sectors and products that will have to have a minimum level of local content to qualify for state procurement.
- The Green Economy Accord was concluded, under which the renewable energy industry committed to a minimum local content level of 35% for the initial roll-out of renewables projects, aiming towards a 75% aspirational target in future.
- The European Investment Bank (EIB) and Investec agreed to establish a €100m funding facility to promote energy efficiency and the generating of clean energy in South Africa.
- Energy Minister Dipuo Peters reaffirmed that the Department of Energy is considering changes to the electricity pricing policy.
- The four leading renewable energy associations in South Africa announced their intention to launch an umbrella body to act as a single voice championing the importance and relevance of the renewable energy industry.
- The Department of Energy with the support of the Danish Ministry for Climate, Energy and launched the South African wind energy awareness campaign, ‘Powered by Wind’,
Renewables news sources